- All documents have an unique link that always points to the latest version.
- Documents with access level "public" may be downloaded without the need to log in.
- Anonymous users may even be allowed to search amongst "public" documents.
- Users can choose to be notified when documents they own are updated or read.
- Users can choose to be notified when individual douments are updated or read (follow documents).
- Users can choose to be notified when documents or files with a specific combination of categories and/or category values are uploaded, updated or read.
- E–mail notifications will contain a version comment if applicable.
- Version numbers are always stepped up even if document content was not changed.
- The revision history clearly shows what changed from version to version and also who made the changes.
- Statistics showing the number of documents, document types, updates, reads and more…
- Statistics showing the number of searches performed, search words, searching users and search times.
- Extended statistics. Statistics and metrics of logins, accesses and usage.
- Templates are presented with a different update link that creates a new in-place document as a copy.
- The newly created document is already correctly tagged using the templates metadata.
Optional checkin and checkout handling
- Checkin- and checkout handling is not needed because First Lane has full-grown version handling and tracking.
- Even so, First Lane can be set to force the user to checkout a document or supply users with an option.
- Regardless of this setting users must always checkin a checked out document.
Uploads via e–mail
- Instead of buggy plugins for different e–mail clients First Lane can recieve e–mail!
- Only registrered users may upload documents and files this way.
- A confirmation e–mail is always sent back immediately.
- An expert system is used to tag files and documents correctly even though the UI cannot be used.
- This way documents can be forwarded from any e–mail system.
Extraction of thumbnails, document properties and document content
- First Lane understands some document formats and has the ability to extract metadata from those files.
- There's no need to re-enter information when uploading documents.
Pushed document properties
- First Lane has the ability to change some of the document content after upload.
- Using word-templates or similar, the correct revision date, version number et. al. can be guaranteed to be printed correctly at all times. This without the need for non-optimal syncronisation scheemes.
- Any HTML-capable server may be used as a "rules"-server when documents are uploaded.
- The rules may be as advanced as needed and can also take information outside of the system into consideration.
- Using the advanced e–mail notification functionality in tandem; mission critical guidance systems can be implemented.
- To use First Lane as a true archive the only thing needed is to block changes of several documents at a time.